Comfort, Comfort Ye My People
Peter Pindar Stearns
• for Advent or general use, set in a gentle, lyric style
• organ introduces and serves as a bridge between textual phrases, creating a seamless effect
• four-part harmony with a chant-like melodic flow
• solo sections for women and men’s voices respectively, highlight the prophetic text
• contrapuntal motion leads into the musical and textual climax: for the glory of the Lord
• anthem draws to a quiet close, with the choir singing comfort on a unison middle C, while the organ settles into an ethereal F Major chord.