Fantasia on Victimae Paschali Laudes
• each section reflects a specific text caption, written in the score,
such as Sunrise at the Tomb, Mary Magdalene Meets
Jesus, The Lord is Risen Indeed.
• excellent instrumental alternative to a Easter season cantata
• atmospheric beginning, with pianissimo chords in the organ,
gradually opening to the individual entrances by the trumpets and
trombones, marked at a distance
• fugal section gives articulate punctuation to the middle text
Go and tell!
• triumphal, majestic chords highlight the climactic text, The Lord is Risen Indeed, and the final Alleluia! is expressed by four measures of toccata-like figuration in the organ, concluding with organ and brass in E Major.